Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sunday Afternoon in my own home!


Here I sit, gazing out over the Caribbean Sea, sweating and dreaming of fall, sweaters, jeans, hot chocolate and the smell of wood burning in the fireplace. I'm averaging at least 2, and sometimes 3, showers a day in my itty-bitty shower. But at least I have hot water and great pressure.

Let's see what's happened since last I wrote - had another meeting with Mr. Widdowson of Wingfield Estate and now have a long list where I can start researching the history of this wonderful historical site. Our first big ship of the winter cruise season docked downtown yesterday. I can see the top half of the ships and the stacks from my balcony. Downtown was busy with 'cruisers' filling all the shops and bars.

Thinking I would be less alone if I agreed to adopt 2 of our PC nurse's latest litter of kittens, I, a lifelong animal lover, discovered in some cases I'm not. She forgot to say that they were 8 weeks old, had never been held or loved by human hands, we're the kittens of feral cats and didn't have a clue how to use a litter box. They also howled and mewed constantly and with these high ceilings, you cannot even being to imagine the sound. After they had been here for less than a hour, running like mad all over the house and litterally bouncing off the walls, the gold & white one dove through the grate off the balcony, landed on top of a car parked on the street, shook itself off and went racing down the street. The black and white one spent the entire night screaming at the top of his/her very strong lungs, refusing to be petted or even allow me to get close. Then at 5:30 a.m. the sound increased and when I struggled out of bed to see what was happening, there was the 'balcony diver' sitting at the door wanting in. They both ate breakfast and then went together through the holes in the door, down the stairs and out the front door - I really hope never to return!

The Kittians do not do 'pets' as we know them. They also do not know the word 'neuter. Packs of homeless dogs and cats roam the streets with no homes to claim them, multiplying like bunnies. And the chickens roam through all the yards and alleys. I have a rooster next door who is sure that sunrise is at 2 a.m.!

I've spent several days cutting up my PC-issued mosquito netting that I can't install over my bed because of the height of the ceilings, and sewing them onto the 'burglar bars' which cover each window. They make excellent 'screens.' I have also spent 2 days trying to get the gecko that came in the guest bedroom window out from under the bed and down the toilet. The kitchen sink backed up - again, and when Jeffery (landlord's son) appeared with a hammer (instead of Drain-o) in hand I learned the best way to clear the jammed pipes was to bang on them. It works! Oh, and there was a big funeral at the church catty-corner across the street. This happens to be one of the 2 main streets through town. They set up a tent that covered the entire street, visitors and the choir sat down on chairs under the tent and the traffic for the entire 4 hours on a busy Saturday had to be diverted around them. The music of the gospel choir was fantastic as it came pouring through my windows.

And though I was looking forward after 7-weeks of training to some time alone, because of my very central downtown location, I have at least 2-3 of the young PCV's drop by daily. I was warned that I might become a substitute 'mom' and it looks like that is happening. I get calls for recipes and the latest was if bleach could be used to clean wood floors. My years of knowledge is really paying off!

I didn't take any new pictures this week but thought I would share with you all one of the 'men in my life.' From left to right are my oldest, Tobin, my nephew Justin, and my youngest, Sean. Our dear friend James Woodward invites the guys to an annual meet-up each Fall in Chicago for the Bears-Vikings game where he has season tickets. This was a tradition he started after John passed away and they guys have a blast - no matter which team wins. This was taken last Sunday at Soldier Field and all reports were a fantastic time was had by all!

We are going to be sworn-in once again on Friday with the complete official ceremony that was canceled because of Omar. And believe it or not, we have one last training session that also got canceled because of the weather. ARGH and just when we thought we were all done and 'official.'

Well, that's about all for this week. Take care of each other, "see you" next weekend.

ReAnn

3 comments:

Nichelina & Co said...

Hi ReAnn,
As usual, I can't wait for your next update! Your apartment is huge and lovely. And your cat story had me laughing all by myself, here at my computer. I cannot wait to read your next installment. Hope you have a blessed week in paradise. Oh, I can relate about the sweating and need for multiple showers per day!

Deborah said...

Hi ReAnn, I'm not sure if this is a duplicate message. If so, please disregard. I saw your story on Marcy Tilton's newsletter page. I have forwarded the info to my fiber/mixed media arts group and to a group of women I met at a Ruth B. McDowell workshop in Montana in June. Hopefull you will get some packages from some of these great women. You are so brave to take on this challenge at this stage in your life! Good luck.
Deb Sims
Winter Park, FL

Anonymous said...

Hello ReAnn!

Very impressed with your adventure and am looking forward to hearing more. I too saw your plea for sewing supplies and fabrics in Marcy's newsletter and am wondering if you have suggestions as to the least expensive way to get parcels to you. Do Peace Corps volunteers get any sort of USPS breaks?

lei