Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Staging in Miami is now over!



Flew into Miami on Monday morning, arriving mid-afternoon. Our first meeting started 15 minutes after I got checked-in the hotel. Lasted to 6:30 and by then everyone was just totally brain-dead. The PC staging officers are really trying to stuff as much info into our heads as possible. We have a fairly large group - 32 - with 4 married couples, one married man who left his wife in Indy for 2 years (we haven't heard the whole story on that one), 8 of us who are way over 50, with the most of rest being newly-minted college grads. All very eager and fresh-faced and ready to tackle the world.

We spent from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. today back in the conference room listening to more rules and regulations. Did some role-playing, ie Chicken-man, have eaten all 3 meals at the same, very good Cuban restaurant directly across the street. Tomorrow we are actually 'really starting' the adventure. We check out of the hotel at 6 a.m. for an 11 a.m. flight to St. Lucia. We will meet the Eastern Caribbean Peace Corps leaders and spend 3 days in a conference center learning more about safety, security and cultural differences. On the 4th day we fly out to our own islands. We have 10 going to St. Kitts/Nevis. We then spend the next 7 weeks training, shadowing current PC's, and getting to know our new home, the area and the people.

During this time I will be living with a host family. This, next to bugs, is my biggest concern. After living for the past 8 years basically on my own, I've come to enjoy my own space, the quite time to read a book or just sit and watch the sun set. We don't know anything about the family we will be living with - whether they will be a large family with lots of children, grandparents, etc. all living together or just a husband/wife combo. I know I can pretty well endure just about anything or anyone for 7 weeks but know that I will really look forward to once again having my own place. The 'kids' are even more excited as this will be their 'very first place.'

Tonight a few of us 'older volunteers' are off to an authentic Cuban restaurant where they play music and the 'old guard still gather.' The younger set are having a pizza party around the pool. I'll say goodbye for now. We've been told it may be between 3 days and over a week before we have internet access again.

So toodles for now - take care of each other.

ReAnn

2 comments:

Karen Parkin said...

HI there,Good to read your ramblings, sounds like your having a blast. Still chuckling over your living with others for 7 weeks, I can relate. Keep it coming and take care, Karen

kk said...

I'll be following your blog! I'll be on a different Caribbean island in February (Dominica).... Cuban food in Miami with live entertainment vs. pizza party? what's wrong with those kids!? ; ) I hope there's a diverse Dominican volunteer crowd. Take care!