Sunday, August 31, 2008

Finally home on St. Kitts






After island hopping from St. Lucia to Dominica to Antigua we landed on St. Kitts around 1:00 p.m. We were greeted by our island Peace Corp director and several PCV's who have been living and working here for the last year. After clearing customs, we loaded what luggage had arrived on a bus and headed to the community center to meet our host families. To say I was nervous is a understatement. I think this part of the 7 week training period had me to most worried. I've basically lived alone for the past 8 years and enjoy my own space and quite time. I had imagined a large family with numerous children. The PC had told us our family would treat us as 'their own', teaching us about the island and the customs, how to wash our clothes by hand using a washboard, etc. etc.

So there we sat - we newly-minted PDV's across the room from a group of Kittians, staring at each other. They each stood up in turn and welcomed us and then had made up a little story which somehow worked something about their individual PCV into the story and we had to listen and guess who was our 'Mom & Dad' for the duration. About 1/2 way through this beautiful woman stood, talked about traveling the world, but she had never traveled to Scot(t)land. And that's how I met Mrs. Elvira Lawrence. Since I was a few years older than she, we agreed on the spot I wouldn't call her 'mom' but that we would become "sisters". And in just a day and a half, we are already working our way into that kind of relationship.

Did I hit the jackpot, because Elvira and Oliver live in a beautiful home overlooking the Caribbean Sea. She is a retired nurse and and Oliver is a retired environmentalist. (You are required to retire on St. Kitts at age 55). They both now teach part-time at the University here. They have 3 grown children, 2 living in Maryland, one in Atlanta. Both boys attended Harvard and the daughter just graduated with a degree in Business Law from Boston.

The home, as you can see, is just beautiful. 3 bedrooms, 2 full baths, a great surround porch with a dining and napping area, huge kitchen and a WASHER! They also have wireless internet and their own brand of VOIP based out of Maryland so I can call home and if anyone would like, can call here - the same as calling me in the States!

After we left the gathering, we came 'home' and I started to get unpacked when Elvira said I had to go meet one of my 'other sisters.' She comes from a family of 8 (4 boys and 4 girls) and off we went to pick up Fern and take her to the ferry so she could visit her daughter on Nevis for the day. Fern is the youngest girl and is a head administrator of the government insurance agency here on the island. She thinks I should let my hair grow and she'll see that I get a beautiful set of braids like hers! Then, after dropping off Fern, we stopped by my other new sister, Dorellen. She runs a day-care facility and sings in the choir. Their cousin from Manhattan was there with her 2 daughters (they had come for the day off the Carnival Cruise ship that was docked for the day at St. Kitts). After all the meeting and the greetings and hugs, I was allowed to lay down and nap for about an hour before it was time to head back to the pier to pick up Lawrence who had been in Nevis for the day visiting his sister and family.

What a wonderful, intelligent man. We've talked politics (a lot). Both he and Elvira are big Obama fans. He's promised to teach me and I promised to learn the intricacies of the game of cricket if he allows me to watch the Bears play on Sundays. Did I mention they have cable TV, including HBO? Life in the Peace Corp is tough.

I collapsed at 9 p.m. in my own room, on a big, soft bed with no bugs and slept soundly until 7 a.m. Wonderful!

Today, Sunday, is the day of church and visiting. I am going to 'bounce' from attending Elvira's Wesleyan Evangelical Church to singing in the choir with Oliver at the big Anglican church. Everyone was so gracious and kind when I was introduced during this morning's service. It's strange to be the only 'white face' in the crowd but will get used to it, I am sure. Elvira drives Oliver to his 8 a.m. service, comes home and gets ready for her 10 a.m. service. He's pick up the car from her and then she calls him to pick her up after her church is over. And while she's a church, he is in his domain - the kitchen! Just look at what I had for Sunday lunch! And I was told if I didn't clean my plate, I would be spanked and no football! There was no way I could get through all of that food - but ever single thing, from the plantains to the white sweet potatoes to the chicken to the fresh veggies and rice was absolutely delicious. I am not going to starve!

Just as we were finishing lunch, one of Elvira's friend's, Anne, and her daughters Javanie (freshman in HS) and Anisse (1st grade) came by to visit. After their initial shyness wore off, we became great friends. We played with my iPod and computer. Loved having their pictures taken, told me all about school and Javanie and I share a love of Kipling handbags and she promised to take me to the Mall shopping!

Tomorrow starts the school term so Elvira and Oliver are back to teaching and I start my 7 weeks of training. Classes are from 9-4 each day, 5 days a week. We also are expected to get involved in a community project and I learned that they have a First Tee program here at the Marriott's golf resort so hoping I can waggle my way into assisting in some way - and maybe play a round or two!

So life as a Peace Corp Volunteer on St. Kitts is not bad! The hurricanes have missed the island, so far, this season, but there is another brewing to the east of us. I will acclimate to the climate at some point in time, and adjust to working a full-time schedule once again, after several years of not. We will take our Oath of Office on October 17th and then move into our own living quarters. Elvira has offered for me to stay here but then I reminded her it was for 2 years she quickly re-sended her offer!

Will keep you all posted on live here in the EC as it happens. Please keep those emails coming. I miss you all.

ReAnn

5 comments:

Karen Parkin said...

Hey you, well glad you have finally arrived at your destination and pleased to hear you have such 'comfortable' accomodation, that in itself will make it that much easier in the weeks to come. Host family sounds wonderful. Looking forward to seeing some shots of the area. Cricket huh, now thats a game I know, they might have you converted before you return, laughing. Enjoying reading your blogs, keep it up. Stay safe!

Roxanne said...

Dear Re Ann,

Congratulations on the beginning of your great adventure! It sounds like you have landed with a very nice family who are both educated and financially comfortable and now have some new "sisters". I think you are an amazing woman and to take on this assignment at your age is extraordinary. Please include my e-mail on your list so I can read your blogs and feel as if I am sharing it with you in some small measure. Take care and keep that beautiful smile going.

Your friend, Roxanne rwlarsen@comcast.net

Unknown said...

hi, reann...glad to hear you're safe and enjoying st kitts. your little saying about surviving the storm and enjoying the rain was probably pretty appropriate with hurricane ike. i understand it stayed north of st kitts. enjoy your tour....minus any bedbugs....cheers, bud

Cindy K. said...

I didn't realize you lived with a family before you get your own digs.

There was a picture of the St. Kitts Marriott rotating on a screen at the Freising (Munich airport) Marriott a few days ago. I thought of you! I also realized I had just used points for the German hotel that I should have saved for us :) (I'll have to send the spouse out more...)

Unknown said...

re ann, how are the BATTERIES holding out? hope you are doing well...cheers, bud