Saturday, December 20, 2008

How can it almost be Christmas?



Saturday morning and because of the holidays, no golf lessons this morning. The kids have been out of school for the past week and roaming the streets along with thousands of tourists off the cruise ships.

Last week we had 3 ships docked at one time - that's 9000 sunburned, bored, under-dressed tourists. Why do older men think they can wear 'mussel shirts' or no shirt at all, and roam around a capital city's main square? Or women parade around in bikini tops and really, really short shorts? First, big bellies without a proper covering is really ridiculous-looking. And would these vacationers dress like this on a summer day visiting NYC or Chicago or LA? No! Just because they are on vacation doesn't give them the right to not respect the capitol city of a Caribbean island or it's people, who really are quite conservative and cover themselves in long sleeves, suits and ties even during the hottest times of year. Sorry for the rant, but I am embarrassed for my fellow countrymen and women and try to stay far, far away from the 'Circus' when the ships come to town as I don't want be thought as a 'tourist.'

That said, HELLO. Last night was the official opening of Carnival. I'll say this only once - LOUD! A huge party for children was held just outside my door and about a 1/2 block down. About 300 kids and parents, music, screaming, laughter rolling through the air until midnight. Tonight is Calypso Night at Warner Park. George has invited me to attend a private 'rum punch' party at Ballyhoo and so I am getting the my chores done early today. I was invited to the luncheon hosted by the Deputy Prime Minister, Sam Condor, for the island's talented youth on the 28th and we'll be celebrating Lauren's 'unfortunate date of birth - Christmas Eve' with a lasagna and homemade spaghetti and meatballs dinner (her choice) here. Christmas Day nothing is planned, but the 26th is J'ouvet so I will most certainly have lots to tell and pictures to show next week.

Now I want to tell you about one of the really fun things I'm doing. Through the Peace Corps, we can sign-up to 'correspond' during our 2 years of service, with a classroom back in the States, sharing our adventures and answering their wonderful questions. I have been assigned Nancy Dowdy's English III (aka American lit) class in Barren County, KY. They are a small group of students - struggling readers – but great kids and the majority have never been outside of Kentucky. Barren County is in Glasgow, Kentucky (named the # 1 Rural County to live in America in 2007). Their questions are funny, insightful and it's so nice to be able to tell them about what life is like living on a tiny island in the middle of the Caribbean - which they had to look up on an Atlas - very hard for them to comprehend!

After being 'yelled at' for not including any pictures last week, I'm attaching one that George took from the street up to my balcony (Kelly, me & Lauren) and one a fellow diner took at a delicious, traditional English Roast Beef dinner we had at Ballyhoo a few weeks ago. (Lauren, Ed, Georgia, George and me). That's all for this week, but get prepared for the coming 'tales of Carnival.'

Let me take this opportunity to wish each and everyone who reads this blog a very blessed and Merry Christmas and a joyous and prosperous New Year! This will be my very first holiday season not spent in the company of at least one of my boys and my friends. It's going to be really hard but the phone will ring and we can share our joy and happiness and love with our voices.

Until next week - take care of each other!

ReAnn

No comments: