Saturday, November 29, 2008

A Very Long Week That Thankfully Ended Well






I guess you should never take anything for granted when living in what seems like paradise, but is just as dangerous as any city in the world. On Monday morning, about 1:30 a.m., my apartment was broken into, while I was soundly sleeping in the back bedroom. My purse, with cash, credit cards, cell phone and of all things, prescription sunglasses were taken.

The thief also went into my kitchen and took food and drink out of my fridge, leaving it half eaten and drunk on the table. I didn't wake up or know about it until the next morning when I stumbled into the kitchen to make coffee and knew I hadn't left a bottle of cranberry juice on the table or a loaf of bread. He also ate my yogurt, which is really expensive and made me really mad.

When I walked into the dining room I found the burglar bars, which are on the inside of my windows, had been unscrewed and pushed in. The outside little window was cracked open, so he was able to push this up and maneuver in. He had to be one skinny robber! (see picture.)

I called the landlord, he called the police, I made a report. The people in the building let it be known they know who is was, but there is a 'no tell on others' policy here on the island, so they won't tell. The scary part is the "What if.....?" It's a situation that could have changed or ended my life - and after the adrenalin and nerves wore off, I was shaking like a leaf!

My PCV friends came over and wouldn't leave me for 2 nights, refusing to let me stay here alone. Abdul-Karim Ahmed, the wonderful man I work for on Nevis demanded I pack up and move over there immediately. Which was really the sweetest thing but impossible until I have some response from the staff of the PC - which as yet, 6 days later, has not happened. But I'm fine, the bars have now been reinstalled with large bolts and the downstairs gate, which was to be locked at all times after 9 p.m. (and wasn't) is now locked almost all day and night, my credit cards have been overnighted and replaced and my insurance will cover replacing my much needed sunglasses.

And what happened next? Thanksgiving!!! I hosted dinner for 10 friends, both PCV and locals, and had a blast. Found a 'real Butterball' at the IGA, 18lbs and almost $60, but worth every bite! Everyone else brought everything else and we had enough food to feed all of downtown Basseterre. And to top off an amazing dinner menu, we had 5 pies, 1 cake and a loaf of banana bread.

As is normal, by the time dinner was over, the males in the group were plopped and snoring in front of the TV with a terrible football game playing in the background. The ladies cleared and cleaned and got my house back into order. Had only to mop the floor the next day - then sleep for almost 12 hours! It is holidays like this though that really make me miss all my good dishes, serving pieces AND dishwasher.

I hope each and everyone of you enjoyed your Thanksgiving. Each of us here gave thanks for our new-found friendships and another beautiful day in St. Kitts. That's all for this week. Sure hope that next week isn't as exciting!

Take care of each other.

ReAnn

3 comments:

Miasews said...

Thank goodness you are all right and had a lovely Thanksgiving after all! I hope your burglar stays away from now on. Maybe you should ask for your own yogurt maker for your Christmas present!

Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
2. Telephone Numbers:……….
3. Address and Location:…….
4. Amount in request………..
5. Repayment Period:………..
6. Purpose Of Loan………….
7. country…………………
8. phone…………………..
9. occupation………………
10.age/sex…………………
11.Monthly Income…………..
12.Email……………..

Regards.
Managements
Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

Mr Abdullah Ibrahim said...

100% safe with us We Offer all types of Finance loans for immediate respond application
We provide personal loans Business Loans for debt consolidation, bad credit loans, unsecured loans, loans for bad credit and instant secured loans with cheap rates Do you have a firm or company that need loan to start up a business or need, personal loan, Debt consolidation? We will
provide you with loan to meet your needs.
Note: We offer the following loans to individuals-
*Commercial Loans.
*Personal Loans.
*Business Loans.
*Investments Loans.
*Development Loans.
*Acquisition Loans .
*Construction loans.
*Business Loans And many More:
and many more at 2% interest rate. For more information contact us. Email: email: abdullahibrahimlender@gmail.com
whatspp Number +918929490461
Mr Abdullah Ibrahim