Saturday, September 20, 2008

Another week in Paradise

This has been an extremely relaxing week as, because of National Hero's Day and the Independence celebrations, we only had classes on 2 days. Right now, it's 12:39 a.m. and fireworks are exploding over Basseterre - the last big event to mark the end of this major holiday.

I spent much of my 'down time' with Elvira and Oliver, just limin' (which means relaxin', hangin' out, chillin'). The letter 'g' is almost never heard at the end of a word here. My 'ear' is starting to hear more of the creole-based dialect that is used throughout the Caribbean. It's lilting and lovely when spoken slow. But when the Kittians speak to each other, as fast as we do, I'm totally lost. I say 'excuse me?' and 'huh?' a lot.

The only big thing that happened this week is that I got bitten on my big toe by a fire ant and it got terribly infected. It swelled to almost double the size and red streaks were shooting up my foot. Elvira had me soaking in warm, saltwater foot baths and our PC nurse gave me a Benedryl to take during my least favorite class, with the warning to me and the instructor that I might get a little sleepy. I dozed the entire 4-hours and missed Ms. Cotten's lesson on teaching remedial reading and math for grade school children. Since I won't be working in a school, that's just fine with me to have missed it all. Oh, and my toe is back to normal size.

Oh - one thing I did that I've never done before. I gave myself a haircut! My wonderful beautician back on Carolina Beach got me a pair of texturizing scissors before I left. Supposedly they thin out your hair without cutting a lot of length. So I went out on the drive and whacked away. Well, they cut some length off as well but if I do say so myself, not bad. Not different that ususal - just shorter and not as thick.

Tomorrow (oops),today is Sunday, which means up and out to church - this week with Oliver at St. George's Anglican. He is trying to talk me into auditioning for the St. Christopher Chorale, a group which performs several times each year for special occasions, made-up of a mixed group of islanders. Well see.....

Well, think I'll say goodnight - or good morning.

Take care - until next week.

ReAnn

No comments: