Friday, June 13, 2008

June 10, 2008 - Invitation to Join Peace Corp Arrives

It's really happening! After waiting an entire year and going through so many medical tests, thinking there was no way they would accept me, I received my 'invitation' to become a Peace Corps Volunteer. Yippee! And the location - the eastern Caribbean island of Grenada. Even though they have really BIG bugs there, I'm still totally excited. I've been bombarded with paperwork to complete and send in. I have to manage to get my house packed up and in storage and rented before I depart on August 25th. that's just 9 weeks from now - ARGH.

When I leave here we spend 2 days of training in the States (where is not yet announced) before heading to the island of St. Lucia. This is where the headquarters of the PC's Eastern Caribbean division. We will spend about 4-6 weeks in training on St. Lucia before the groups splits and heads out to all the surrounding islands that are part of this division. Once I arrive in Grenada, I will be living with a host family who will introduce me to island life and continue training for another 4-6 weeks. After 3 months of training we will be presented to the Grenada ambassador and take the oath of office to become, for the next 24 months, a Peace Corps Volunteer. (It's the same oath that the President takes!).

It will be exciting, exhausting, scary, fun and such an adventure - I can't wait to begin - and I'm so glad that through this wonderful medium you can share this time with me.

6 comments:

Iggyboop said...

It sounds so exciting. I was just thinking that I needed to email you to see how things were going.

Your blog is really cool and will be a nice way to keep everyone in the know about your adventure.

Have fun!


Jude

Cindy K. said...

You go girl! I think this is wonderful.

Anne & Fred said...

ReAnn:

You certainly know how to squeeze the most from life. The Peace Corp ... how exciting. Be safe and have a blast.

Anne & Fred

Unknown said...

Re, it sounds like you'll have a memorable adventure. Don't get so busy that you forget to post to your blog. Those of us left behind will be living your escapades vicariouly. Best of luck.

Roslyn hancock said...

ReAnn! Your adventure begins! First your trip up north and then foreign shores! Have a wonderful time creating happy memories.

love

Ros

sdrewp said...

Hey woman!
Glad you have been having a great summer! I am back in Mass as my daughter is making me a grammy in Dec and I have decided to face winter snows to be near my children. I wish you the best experience in Grenada and look forward to reading all about it. Take care! SDP